Thursday 19 February 2009

Gaming Cultures

<== Kinda looks like something out of space invaders... saw this whilst on holiday in Vienna and being a geek decided to take a picture of it haha

Gaming really is becoming more and more integrated into everyday culture, thanks to the growing popularity of 'family consoles' such as the Wii, just about every household now has a gaming console.

Tamagotchis were all the rage back in the 90s, and were something of a phenomenon as all little kids became obsessed with the cute little pixels. It was easy to see why, it was like having a mini pet that you could look after and was dead cheap to get ahold of. Unfortunately I think it got to a point where they were banned from schools as they were distracting us too much from our schoolwork ^^'

There is an internet slang that has arisen through games, such as 'noob' or 'pwd' which is interesting to see how it developed. Another way of determining the popularity of games: "as i recently discovered, there is a simple way of locating this percentage of the population - whistle the zelda theme tune in a public place".  

I did used to go on a site called Gametalk back when I was 12/13 years old, it was nice to discuss the games you were passionate about and to get help when you were stuck on a game - it provided a sense of community. Around the same time I did go on MSN a lot more and did have people that I would talk to on there that I would necessarily know in real life, however I'm not as naive as I used to be and don't add people on facebook etc. that I don't know/recognise :/

This made me laugh...
Yes... Pokemon flavoured icecream :) I wonder what it tasted like? I was going to get it but I really fancied a chocolate icecream so I decided to be boring and stick with the safe option :P

See ya ~Emi ^o^

No comments: